Friday, February 3, 2012

Potty Training Adventures - About To Begin!

Potty training! It is both horrible and wonderful all at the same time. Horrible because of the inevitable failures. There will be potty in underwear, and probably on the floor somewhere. There will be so many Pull-Ups! There is the "assume the position" wiping. Wonderful because once finished, the child has mastered a very important developmental milestone, and money will be saved!


So after potty training two girls I should have it figured out, right? So not true! Ashlynn took so long to potty train. We started with Pull-Ups and used every reward system you can imagine. We tried candy, stickers, money, ect. Finally I gave up the rewards. It wasn't working. She was supposed to be starting school right before she turned four, and so we stuck her in underwear and let it go. She only had a few accidents. She really did great with it! Why didn't I try that first??


With Riley, I let her dictate when she was ready for her big girl underwear. I didn't want to try and push her (I think that is why Ashlynn took so long). Not too long after turning three she said she wanted underwear. I didn't even attempt Pull-Ups with her. Straight into underwear and we had a few weeks of her having accidents and then she was potty trained. Woohoo! Two down!


Now Robbie is turning two soon. I know it is earlier than I started the others, and he is also a boy (I think they are supposedly slow potty trainers) but he already sheds his diaper and runs my house buck naked and crazy. He already potties in my floor, or in his bed, or on the couch, or just where ever he has decided to "be free". I think it's time to start working with him. He can't talk very well yet but I really hope we can work something out.


I have no clue how to start! I recently was chosen to do a Pull-Ups House Party and I am really excited about it. We'll be learning how to use "The Potty Dance" to potty train. Robbie is a musical little fellow so I hope that something musical will help us along. I have heard of so many ways to help a little boy potty train. Probably the most common is to let him aim at Cheerios in the toilet. I guess it's a good thing we have plenty of those! 


I have a feeling that this will be a major adventure for us. Any tips would be appreciated! And wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. It IS an exciting time! Just take it slow... no pressure. I've heard that the cheerios trick worked well, also. A lady I babysat for had her son sit on the toilet seat backwards for a while and that seemed to work well for her. Interested to know what other tips come up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may have heard of the backwards trick. I will definitely keep it in mind! Especially since I have no clue how to convince him he needs to stand.

      Delete
  2. Yay! It looks like I'm your 100th follower! I'm also potty training my almost 3 year old, and it is NO FUN! I look forward to seeing what works for you(because I might have to try it). If you would like to follow me back, you can find me at iheartpaperbacks.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay for 100!! I hope things go well with him. Thank you for stopping by my blogs (Reading It All is mine, too)! I'll stop by yours!

      Delete