Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dinner Is Served - Chicken Divan





Let me start by giving a great big thank you and shout out to the Casserole Queen! That is actually her picture of Citrus Chicken Divan (I forgot to take a picture of mine!). This is also a recipe that she posted on her blog. I had to do a little changing around because I was working out of my pantry. 


Here is the recipe for Citrus Chicken Divan from the Casserole Queen (with my changes).



Ingredients:
  • 2.5lb bag of Frozen Chicken Tenderloins (I used two 12.5oz cans of fully cooked chicken breast)
  • 3 Cups of Chicken Stock (Didn't use because of my rice)
  • 3 Cups of Water (Used 2 1/2 cups)
  • 3 Cups of Brown Rice (Used 2 boxes of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice, left out the seasoning packs, and prepared as directed on box)
  • 3lbs 8oz of Frozen Broccoli Florets (Birds Eye makes a HUGE bag, I use about half the bag) (I used a 16oz bag of cut broccoli)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Salt
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Black Pepper
  • 3 cups of Cream of Chicken Soup (26oz can) (I used 2 10 3/4 oz cans)
  • 1 cup of Mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip, I know, I'm horrible!)
  • 4 Lemons-zest and juice (I didn't have any lemons!!)
  • 8 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I only used 4 cups because that is what was on hand)
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place a large pot with 3 cups of Water and 3 cups of Chicken Stock onto the stovetop on high.  When the liquid comes to a boil, add the Brown Rice, turn heat to medium, and cover.  Stir every 5 minutes for 30-45 minutes, until tender and add to an oversized mixing bowl.
Place chicken tenderloins into a 13×9 pan, sprinkle with salt, and place into the oven for about 20-30 minutes, until baked.  Break up into bite size pieces, then place into the bowl with Rice and Broccoli.
Add the Black Pepper, Cream of Chicken Soup, Mayonnaise and 4 cups of Cheddar Cheese to the oversized bowl.  Next, zest your Lemons.  Zesting a Lemon involves grating the outer layer of skin.  If you don’t have a zester, use the smallest grating level on a cheese grater.  Once you see the white layer of the skin, don’t zest anymore from that area.  You just want the outermost yellow layer.  Add the zest and juice of the 4 Lemons to the bowl.
Mix all the ingredients together until they are well incorporated.  Transfer into a 13×9 casserole dish.
Top with remaining 4 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese.  Chop some fresh parsley and sprinkle over cheese (optional).
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, then switch to broil for 5 minutes to brown and crisp the cheese.
Sounds amazing right!! Let me tell you, even with all my changes it was great! I cannot imagine how good it would be exactly as it is written. And I will say, use all 8 cups of cheese! I only had 4 on hand and I wish I had the full 8. It would have been a lot better. My children loved it so much and it did not take long to whip up at all. I will most definitely be making it again very soon. 
Be sure to go check out the Casserole Queen blog. She posts a new recipe every week along with a great story to go along with her recipes. She just recently posted Game Day Goat Cheese Spread for that big game we're all waiting for. It sounds yummy and very easy. 

3 comments:

  1. Bookmarked! I love chicken recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I think Iknow what we willhve for Friday dinner this week.
    Marie H
    Howard House Reviews

    ReplyDelete